Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shanghai Sharks vs Qing Tao











My Onitsuka Tigers and I enjoying the front row seats


Yesterday I went to my first CBA game this season and boy… things are way different than last year after Yao took over the Shanghai CBA team. The stadium is much cleaner and it looks new, the ticket prices are steeper yet there is a larger crowd. The FANS are actually into basketball unlike last year where games were filled with old men that have nothing better to do with their life and so decide to see a CBA game for 10kuai. John Lucas ex-Rockets teammate of Yao did a good job, he kept the team in a positive momentum and he brings excitement to the team. I hear that Stephon Marbury is going to join the CBA league too, now that’s someone I would like to see courtside.

Fun tidbits of the game:

  • The language of basketball is universal especially when it comes to being a hooligan. The locals here are surprisingly fluent with the language of “Booooo…. Airrrr ball..and T..T..T” (A prize goes to the first person who can guess what T represents and no its not tea)
  • Yao Ming is freakishly TALL..yes FREAKISHLY
  • I also learnt some useful Shanghainese “Ne Zhu Ta” is used while chanting Defense..it means “Kill it” and “Wu Zi” means “You’re da Man”, ppl chant it when someone banks a nice shot
  • The starting lineup for the Shanghai CHINESE basketball association team is 60% black
  • I’m irrevocably in love with Liu Wei, but shhh don’t tell my bf
  • Hook ups I get from my bball teammates are awesome, got the FREE court side ticket! First row baby.. and I saw like 2 other teammates working courtside. And I think “wow..connections..kool! I can never get this back home(HK or Toronto)”
  • I’m also irrevocably in love with basketball and I always will be and Melody ROCKS

*Melody is a women’s basketball club in Shanghai which provides pickup games, league games to all women who is interested in basketball. Interested in joining? Email virginia.zheng at yahoo.com






Yao being freakishly tall see how taller he is even to the ppl standing on the stairs







Liu Wei saying hi to his fans...oh..here here here..look here..






Go Shanghai!!

No comments: