Sunday, April 09, 2006

The human brain is like George W. Bush

The human brain is like George W. Bush.. I'm sure in u're heads you're going.. "wha???....... HUH??" Well this similie was inspired by my japanese buddy.. miho..who's currently visiting me here..

Let me explain...

The human brain is like very very stupid... its perplexing..why is that it may have the capacity to allow you to speak a few different languages..but it lacks the control and management to select which language to use at what times. Its just frustrating and embarrassing... So Miho and I went to this massage place..and the masseuse were trying to have a conversation with Miho..so they were talkn to me in Mandarin..whereby I translate to Miho..in English plus a little bit of Japanese..back and forth .. I just couldn't manage.. i started saying "だいじょうぶ / Daijoubu" ( It means OK in English.. and 可以的 in Chinese) to the masseuse ...and saying "怎么了?" (It means are you ok? in Mandarin) to Miho.. And to escalate the whole confusion..I had dinner with my HK friends together with Miho..and one guy insisted to speak in Mandarin coz he says he needs the practise.. so we were speakin like 4 different languages at the table.. Mayhem...when tryin to express my amusment to what my HK friend said.. I turned my head and said to him "え??そっか?そっか?/ Eh???? Sokka? ..Sokka??" (Which means..oh yeah?? Really??) Then I started confusing mandarin with my Cantonese..and said to a friend.."呢条路一直走就系架啦。。。" instead of "呢条路一路行就系架啦。。。"..

The human brain is like a conniving politician.. it likes to tell you what you want to hear..and it keeps telling you "The event did not actually take place".. Selective memory is an extremely powerful tool..my friend...reminded me of Kundera's writing...

For after all, what can memory actually do, the poor thing? It is only capable of retaining a paltry little scrap of the past, and no one knows why just this scrap and not some other one, since in each of us the choice occurs mysteriously, outside our will and interest. We won't understand a thing about human life if we persist in avoiding the most obvious fact; that a reality no longer is what it was when it was; it cannot be reconstructed.

During our dinner conversation last nite..as I was ridculing Miho for not learning Chinese..she said I was the cause of it as I've never taught her Chinese..then she reminded me of an incident in which i have totally forgotten.. apparently while I was still studyin in Hawaii..it was one of those days that we were having our friday parties..and surely I had a few too many drinks.. Miho and Donielle..was asking me how to say "Yummy/Good taste" in Cantonese... and I replied them .."おいしい。。Oishii...." and Miho saids.."Hmm.. how interesting...its exactly the same in Japanese"....and I said "yup!".. After like 2 weeks.. Miho and Donielle were both saying "おいしい / Oishii" thinking that it was Chinese..until one day they said it to me and Miho goes "Isn't it Chinese?" and in oblivion .. I gave her my "Huh + what the hell" face and said "Noooo..."..And now she claims that she was emotionally scarred from this incicent to learn Chinese..Its interesting how she remembers this vividly and I completely forgot about it...

And why do emotions kicks in and impairs our rational judgement anyway... like today when I was tryin to catch a cab after skool while RAINING... I'd let this person in my same class get on it first (Normally..I would tear off a limb of anyone who comes between my Cab and I .. PLUS ..I sort of just vaguely recognized her).. but of coz.. I regreted my decision the second she got on the cab... sigh...

I guess what Im really tryin to say here is.. I don't like George Bush and the stupid things he does...

P.S. Hawaiian times... "懐かしい。。な。。/ Natsukashii na.." (I miss it .. I'm nostalgic for it)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent analogy (except Bush's not to blame in situations where alcohol's involved. and great Kundera quote BTW). Without knowing why, Bush'd probably be flattered about such an analogy..

- LB

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»